Welcome to Independence ...
Independence is located just east of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Independence is located in Inyo County<1> and is the County Seat for Inyo County.
Independence was established in 1862.
Independence is 3,930 feet [1,198 m] above sea level.<2> In other words, the altitude of Independence is ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Independence lies in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Telephone area codes for Independence: (760) & (442)<3>
The ZIP code for Independence: 93526<4>
Websites for Independence ...
Chamber of Commerce: www.independence-ca.com/
Although we don't have any websites that are specific to Independence, the following might be of interest:
Communities Also Named Independence ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are two California communities named Independence: This one is located in Inyo County and the other is located in Calaveras County.
Beyond California, there are 50 communities that are also named Independence - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado (3), Idaho, Illinois, Indiana (2), Iowa, Kansas (2), Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota (2), Mississippi (2), Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota (2), Ohio (2), Oklahoma (2), Oregon, Pennsylvania (3), Tennessee (3), Texas (2), Utah (2), Virginia, Washington (2), West Virginia (4) and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Independence.
Communities near Independence ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Independence.
- Kearsarge [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kearsarge
- Kearsarge [Inyo County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the east of Independence
- San Carlos [Inyo County] - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for San Carlos. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for San Carlos
- San Carlos [Inyo County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the northeast of Independence
- Seven Pines [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Seven Pines
- Seven Pines [Inyo County] was located 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the west of Independence
- Manzanar [Inyo County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Manzanar have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Manzanar
- Manzanar [Inyo County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the southeast of Independence
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Blackrock [Inyo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blackrock
- Blackrock [Inyo County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the north of Independence
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blackrock
- Reward [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Reward
- Reward [Inyo County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the southeast of Independence
- Chrysopolis [Inyo County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Chrysopolis have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chrysopolis
- Chrysopolis [Inyo County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the north of Independence
- Aberdeen [Inyo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Aberdeen
- Aberdeen [Inyo County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the north of Independence
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Aberdeen
- Owenyo [Inyo County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Owenyo have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Owenyo
- Owenyo [Inyo County] was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the southeast of Independence
- Aberdeen Station [Inyo County] - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Aberdeen Station. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Aberdeen Station
- Aberdeen Station [Inyo County] was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the north of Independence
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Independence. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Independence.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Independence. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Independence.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Independence. Our list includes 8 papers. See our Newspapers Page for Independence.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Independence ...
Looking for more information about Independence? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Independence, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Independence.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within California
About Inyo County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Independence. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Inyo County: www.inyocounty.us/
The official website for State of California: https://www.ca.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of California's counties, including Inyo, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Independence - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||Area code (442) is an overlay for area code (760).|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Independence). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Independence or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Independence) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Independence. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Independence
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Independence. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 36.8025, Longitude: -118.1997
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|